Oregon is a famous, well-known and highly popular wine region in The United States. Willamette Valley is one of the main hubs of the Oregon wine route, hosting up to two-thirds of the state’s vineyards and wineries. There are almost 700 wineries in the Oregon area, many of which produce some of the best Pinot Noir you’ll find in the world. 500 of these wineries are located in Willamette Valley!
The beautiful Willamette Valley extends from the Columbia River in the north of Oregon, all the way to Eugene in the south. Willamette Valley is one of the most popular and celebrated regions in the world. Willamette Valley’s climate is relatively mild all year long, and extreme temperatures are not a common occurrence.
Willamette Valley wineries and vineyards thrive in this area due to the cool, wet winters and warm, dry summers, it’s the perfect combination for wine grape production. The moderate climate, high quality wines and stunning views are a combination that will have you coming back for more, as often as possible.
Jump To a Section Below
- How Many Wineries Are In Willamette Valley?
- What Wine Is Willamette Valley Known For?
- Why Is Willamette Valley The Best Place To Grow Pinot Noir Wine?
- What Is The Largest Winery In Willamette Valley?
- The Top 5 Best Willamette Valley Wineries to Visit
How Many Wineries Are In Willamette Valley?
There are 500 wineries in Willamette Valley and these are some of the top wineries in the world. Willamette Valley wines are world-renowned and their Pinot Noir is highly sought after. Should you wish to spend some time in the Oregon wine region, do yourself a favour and take as much time as your vacation days will allow, and visit as many of these 500 Willamette Valley wineries as you possibly can.
What Wine Is Willamette Valley Known For?
Willamette Valley, as we already know, is most well-known for its delectable Pinot Noir. Besides their top-class Pinot Noir, Willamette Valley wineries also produce wonderful Pinot Gris, Chardonnay, Pinot Blanc, and Riesling.
Why Is Willamette Valley The Best Place To Grow Pinot Noir Wine?
The climate in Willamette Valley provides all the right conditions for the Pinot Noir grape to grow and flourish beautifully. Despite the climate being mild overall, they have relatively hot, dry summers, and cold, wet winters. The combination of the two is everything the Pinot Noir grape needs in order to reach full and mature perfection. The hot, dry summers and cooler evenings actually speed up the ripening of the vines.
Another factor that contributes to the overall glorious growing of the Pinot Noir grapes, is the rich and fertile soil in the Willamette Valley.
What Is The Largest Winery In Willamette Valley?
The largest winery in Oregon is the Willamette Valley Vineyards in South East Turner, Oregon. This is one of the best and most beautiful wineries in Oregon. They pride themselves on their tasty and classy wines and the fact that they focus on sustainability throughout their entire winemaking and grape growing process. They intentionally uplift their employees and surrounding community and attempt to do all of this with a minimal carbon footprint. Their approach to winemaking is gentle and admirable and keeps in line with the latest wine industry trends.
There is plenty on offer at this fine estate, whether you are looking to plan a day trip, educate yourself on wine and sustainability, purchase some unique and wonderful wines, go on a tasting tour, or just have a relaxing trip in Oregon’s wine country for you and your partner, Willamette has you covered.
Should you be planning a trip there, then here is some more important information to help you plan your visit:
- Open daily from 11am to 6pm, except for Fridays where they are open from 11am to 8pm.
- Phone number: +1 503 588 9463
- Address: Willamette Valley Vineyards, 8800 Enchanted Way SE, Turner, Oregon, 97392
The Top 5 Best Willamette Valley Wineries to Visit
/div>View this post on Instagram
- Has several variants of bottles with 90 and above scores from Wine
- Enthusiast and James Suckling
- Spans a long and vast location of the Willamette Valley wine region
- Grows all kinds of varietals including Dundee Hills Pinot Noir and Coast
- Range Riesling
- Is a delightfully distinctive art gallery space for winemaker and owner James Frey.
- Optional indoor or outdoor tastings on either a covered deck overlooking the vineyard or within the gallery
- It’s open daily from 11am to 4pm
- Address: 18401 NE Ribbon Ridge Rd, OR 97132
- Phone Number: (503) 538-9898
View this post on Instagram
- Stunning estate located in the midst of incredible Willamette Valley mountains
- Has been proudly making their own estate wines since the ‘90s
- They have a classy selection Pinot Noir, Chardonnay, Tempranillo, Syrah.
- Tastings and tours are generally exclusively by appointment only but will take walk-in visitors if they are able to accommodate them
- Walk-in visitors are requested to please call (503) 538-4092 first ahead of time
- Address: 17425 NE Hillside Dr, OR 97132
- Phone Number: (503) 538-4092
- Rustic and wooden vineyard and tasting room
- Tasting room experience is of a very high standard
- Tastings include Pinot Noir and Chardonnay whilst enjoying the spectacular views of the rolling hills surrounding the property.
- The tastings can range within the Pinot Noir variety. Experience the lighter side of the Willamette Valley wine: subtle, ruby Dundee fruit. Whilst simultaneously experiencing the dark, savoury, tobacco notes of the Northern
- Willamette Valley Pinot Noir.
- Tasting room is open daily for tasting
- Tasting indoors or outdoors are both options
- Address: 12000 NW Foothills Rd, OR 97111
- Phone Number: (971) 999-1603
View this post on Instagram
- High-scoring wines
- Lush outdoor patio
- Gravity-flow wines made with estate-grown grapes.
- Most popular wines on offer are Pinot Noir, Pinot Gris, and Chardonnay (The
- Willamette Big Three as they are locally known) as well as some dry and sweet dessert Rieslings
- The tasting room is open from 11am to 4pm daily
- Address: 12020 NE Stag Hollow Rd, OR 97111
- Phone Number: (503) 852-6619
Cana’s Feast Winery
View this post on Instagram
- This winery specialises in Italian varietals such as Nebbiolo and Sangiovese
- Grosso made with Red Mountain grapes
- The estate is surrounded by Italian cypress
- They have bocce ball courts and a piazza with a homey Italian feel
- The tasting room is open daily 11am to 8pm
- Address: 750 W Lincoln St, OR 97111
- Phone Number: (503) 852-0002
Ditch the commercial winery regions for a week of exploring the elegant and inviting Willamette Valley. Whether you are a Pinot Noir lover, or not, pick your way through the best Willamette Valley wineries and relax into the calming atmosphere and unbelievable views.