Have you received a wedding invitation only to find out that it clashes with plans you just can’t wriggle out of? Are you wondering what on earth you are going to say? Here are some wedding wishes when you can’t attend the wedding
Browse these wedding wishes for when you can’t attend the nuptials and smooth the waters. These wedding wishes for when you can’t get to the special day will make sure there are no hurt feelings.
Humorous Wedding Wishes When You Can’t Attend
These types of messages work best if you’ve got a close relationship with the bride and the groom, but some can be used even if you’re not especially intimate friends.
- Best wishes for the future! We wish we could have been at your wedding to celebrate with you, but it just wasn’t possible. Congratulations!
- I think we all know that I’d be a liability if I came, so I’m going to save you the embarrassment and sit this one out. Jokes aside, I’m sadly unable to attend your nuptials, but rest assured I’ll be sending you both my best wishes on a special day.
- Look at you! Getting married… finally! As much as I was looking forward to entrancing everyone with my one-of-a-kind dance moves and taking complete advantage of the open bar, I’m afraid I must decline your kind invitation. Massive congratulations to you both though.
- New address, who dis? Since I’ve not seen either of you in ages, I’m presuming you either accidentally sent me this invite or it’s out of pity. That’ll be a no from me, dogs! Obviously I’m kidding! I’m so sorry to miss this special day and I can’t wait to see all the pictures when I get back.
- So you’re getting married on [insert date]! Sorry/not sorry but I’ve got better plans. Congratulations anyway and I’m sure you’ll have a spectacular time, even if you’re missing the guest of honour!
- We couldn’t make it this time but will definitely be there for the next one! Jokes aside, please accept our sincere apologies, our absence couldn’t be helped.
- Hope you two have fun today because tomorrow the work begins! Just kidding. We love you and are so sorry to have missed this day.
- We knew you two were madly in love but didn’t consider you insane enough to get married! Just joking. We saw this day coming from the word Go and are so happy you two are getting hitched. Forgive our absence, it couldn’t be helped.
- As the noble Bill and Ted once said: Be excellent to each other! Also, don’t let us not being there detract from a single thing. We’re going to make it up to you and then some. Congratulations, you two!
- May your marriage be like drama school, in that there’s as much comedy as there is drama!
- Getting married is hard work, for sure. Luckily, both of you like your boss!
Sincere Wedding Regret Messages
- Your wedding is very important, please don’t think our absence indicates otherwise. We would’ve loved to have been a part of your special day but it was simply impossible. All our love and best wishes.
- We might not be able to attend, but that doesn’t mean we don’t wish you two the very best. We hope the beginning of the rest of your lives has been wonderful as we’re sure it’s going to turn out to be.
- We’re so sorry we can’t come to your wedding! We’re out of town but send our most sincere congratulations. May the good Lord bless your lives together.
- We’re so sorry we can’t make your wedding but are sure it will be a beautiful affair because that’s how the pair of you roll! We look forward to seeing all the pictures and catching up with you both at the next family gathering. May a lifetime of happiness be yours.
- We’re so sorry to have missed your wedding, but solemnly pledge to make it up to you in the very near future!
- I’m so sorry I can’t make it to your wedding. I hope you understand and have the wonderful day that you both deserve.
- Congratulations! I feel terrible that I can’t come to your wedding. I hope you know I wouldn’t miss it unless it was something impossible to attend! I’ll be with you in spirit and send all my love and kindest regards.
- I’m so sorry to let you down but I simply can’t make it to your wedding. Something urgent has come up and there’s absolutely no way I can get out of it. My sincerest apologies and best wishes. I hope you have a truly special day because that’s what you deserve.
- I’m just letting you know that I want to be able to make your wedding. Please accept my best wishes for a wonderful day in lieu of my attendance.
- I couldn’t have been more excited about coming to your wedding but, sadly, I’m going to have to let us all down. We have had a family emergency and my loved ones need me. I promise to make it up to you though… Have a great day!
- I am so disappointed that I’m not going to be able to attend your wedding. Here’s hoping my wedding gift makes up for it!
- Will you be able to enjoy your wedding without me there? I hope so. I really wish I could attend but it’s impossible. I hope you have an amazing day anyway.
- Thank you so much for inviting me to your wedding but I will not be able to come. I pray it’s everything you’ve hoped for and more.
- I’m so disappointed that I can’t make your wedding. I look forward to seeing the photos! Congratulations.
- Although I may not be with you in person, I will be with you in spirit! Congratulations! I hope you enjoy your special day.
- I’m so sorry, I won’t be able to make your wedding. I didn’t have any choice but to cover for someone at work but I hope you had a lovely day anyway and can eventually forgive me.
- I’ve been sick recently and just have the strength to make your wedding. Please forgive me for missing your special day and accept all my love and congratulations.
- I’ve eagerly planned for this special day but fate has thrown a spanner in the works. I regret to inform you I won’t be able to attend but send you both my love and best wishes.
- Welcome to the first day of the rest of your lives! Please forgive my absence, it was unavoidable.
- Believe me when I say I’ll make missing your wedding up to you! Hope you have the day you dreamed of.
- I’m so sorry that I can’t make your wedding. I hope everything is as wonderful as the pair of you!
- Please accept my sincerest apologies. Unforeseeable circumstances have cropped up and I won’t be able to attend your wedding. Much love and best wishes for the happiest future possible.
- My workload has made it impossible to have a good night’s sleep, let alone attend the wedding of two of the people I love most in the world. Forgive me, and know I’ll make it up to you!
- Even though I can’t attend, I know your wedding is going to be as beautiful as the two of you are. Much love and sincerest apologies for my absence.
- I’m so sorry I couldn’t be with you on your wedding day!
- Please know that only impossible circumstances would prevent me from attending your nuptials! I’ll spend the rest of my days making it up to you!
- I can’t believe I have to miss your wedding! Luckily, I know it’ll be spectacular anyway.
- My heartfelt apologies for being unable to attend your wedding. I love you both and wish you only the very best!
- Your wedding! I’m so happy for the both of you but can sadly not attend. Accept my apologies and have the time of your lives.
- I’m simply devastated that I’m going to have to miss your wedding. I know it will be amazing but injuries have made it impossible to travel. I’ll see you when you get back!
- My babysitter has just cancelled and I’ve been unable to find anyone else to watch the children on your special day. Know that I’m with you in spirit and want all the details when you get back from your honeymoon!
- What a blow to be missing your wedding! I’m terribly sad about it but hope you aren’t and that you have the day of your dreams!
- I’m sorry I can’t make your wedding! I know that you’ll have a wonderful life together.
- Well done, the pair of you! Congratulations on your wedding and I’m so sorry I couldn’t be there to celebrate this milestone with you.
- I know you’ll understand that attending your nuptials is just impossible for me right now. That doesn’t mean I don’t love you both, though! Congratulations.
- However much we would’ve loved to share this day with you, it’s simply not possible. Let’s mark the calendar for some day in the near future for you to tell us all about it!
- What an honour to receive an invitation to your wedding! Sadly, I’m unable to make it. I know that it will be wonderful anyway, and send you both my love and congratulations.
- We can’t even put into words how sad we are to miss being there for you both as you take the first step into your new life together. Here’s hoping it’s as beautiful as we’re sure it will be and please know that we’ll both be there in spirit.
- As honoured as we are to have received your gorgeous wedding invitation, we’re unable to attend. Promise that we can have a proper catch-up when you’re officially Mr and Mrs [insert surname]?
- We are sorry, but we are not going to be able to attend your wedding. We wish you both the very best and we are looking forward to seeing the wedding pictures when we have a chance to get together again.
- We feel terrible that we were unable to take part in your special day. Please forgive us and know that we wish the very best for you two going forward.
- We are so sorry to miss your wedding. We wish you both all the happiness in the world and know that your future will be bright.
- Darlings! I can’t come to your happy day but will send something expensive to make up for it and will do everything I can to see you as soon as you’re back from your honeymoon.
- You’re going to have to get hitched without me! I’m so sorry, I just won’t be able to make it. Much love to you both.
Take the Time to Send a Heartfelt Message
Having to decline a wedding invitation from someone you care about isn’t ideal, but it doesn’t have to be the end of the world. Sure, you’ll be missing out on what will no doubt be an amazing day, but sometimes life gets in the way and there’s nothing to be done.
As disappointing as your absence will be, remembering to send your RSVP before the deadline will go a long way to soothing any hurt feelings. This way, the bridal pair will know in good time that you can’t attend and you won’t be costing them money on the day because your last-minute message didn’t reach them in time. We all know how stressful, and expensive, weddings can be, and being mindful of both these factors is important.
Whatever your actual reason for not attending, it’s more than possible to draft a wedding wish that will make the newly married pair feel good and excuse you as well. You should also not stick to simply copying the messages outlined in this article. Rather, use them as the jumping-off-point to creating a missive that your friends will appreciate and you will be happy with. s to the bride and groom.