2022 has already shown us that RV trends are once again on the rise. Take a look at the recreational vehicle industry facts and stats that highlight how many people are hitting the road for their holidays.
- The RV industry has blossomed during COVID
- RVs provide an excellent opportunity for people to enjoy vacations while still adhering to social distancing
- The RV industry is still on track to build more than 600,000 RVs in 2022
- Over 11% of US households headed by 35 to 54-year olds own an RV
- There’s significant growth among 18 to 34-year-old buyers, who now make up 22% of the market
- A typical recreational vehicle owner is 48 years old, married, and has an above-average household income
- Millennials have been purchasing and renting RVs more than ever before
- More than 9 million households in the US own recreational vehicles
- According to the RV Industry Association, 46 million Americans plan to take an RV trip in the next 12 months
- An incredible 9.6 million households intend to buy an RV within the next 5 years
- Nearly 90% of recreational vehicle owners take three or more mini-vacations each year
- Over 65% of people take a pet on their RV trips
- A family of four can save 27-62% on holiday costs if using an RV
- The RV industry contributes almost $12 billion in taxes to the US economy every year
- The RV industry has an economic impact of $114 billion and supports almost 600,000 jobs.
Jump To a Section Below
RV Trends Show Rise In Motorhome Ownership Since Covid
With international restrictions on travel across borders, the public has embraced the campervan or motorhome and taken to the domestic highways of their individual countries.
In a campervan, you can control your environment and practise social distancing easily as one moves from one campsite to the next.
Camping facilities have also grown up and now provide good utilities and reliable WiFi services, allowing one to work from anywhere, a key aspect demanded by Millennials.
Let’s have a look at what the sales figures are telling us.
RV Statistics Show Record Growth Through 2022
- Recent RV statistics show that sales have increased dramatically as more and more families have turned to campervans as a way of undertaking holidays safely.
- The recreational vehicle industry is expected to reach record heights this year. In a news release, the US Recreational Vehicle Industry Association reported its quarterly forecast foresees a record shipment rate to continue through 2022.
- Also, the shift to following healthier lifestyles and undertaking more outdoor activity has resulted in a shirt in holiday market trends.
- The release said that since late 2020, millions of people have discovered that RVs are the best way to experience the great outdoors and the many benefits of an active lifestyle.
- The US forecast for the end of 2022 RV shipments ranges between 567,000-587,400 units, with a most likely year-end total of 577,200 units.
- If this figure is reached, it would represent a 34% increase over 2020’s year-end total of 430,412 units. The total would also be a 14.4% increase over the current comparable record high of 504,600 set in 2017.
- The release states that US RV industry growth is expected in 2022 with between 586,300- 614,100 units with a likely total of 600,200 units, a 4% rise over 2021.
- Continued robust demand for RVs, the need for RV dealers to restock historically low inventories, the high disposable incomes of consumers, and continued interest in outdoor adventures were given as reasons for the record-high shipments.
- While the 2022 shipments may set another record, suppliers are expecting a slowing down in growth as factors such as inflation, rising interest rates and supply chain issues kick in later in the year.
- About 80% of RVs in North America are made in northern Indiana.
US RV Facts
- In the last few years, about 8-9% of households in the US-owned an RV. That number has increased to over 11% of households, mainly held by 35 to 54-year-olds. It is very likely that this number will increase even more with the popularity of RVs growing.
- Young people have realised the benefits of owning a recreational vehicle. You can be your own boss and decide where you want to go AND you can work from anywhere.
- Even though RVs are expensive, there are many different styles and sizes to suit a wide range of budgets. Studies show that RV owners are usually around 48 years old, married, and have an above-average salary.
- There has been a significant increase in people who owned an RV last year, and the numbers keep going up. Currently, over 9 million households own an RV which is over 16% more than in 2001. The numbers keep rising, so in 2022 it’s expected that over 11 million households will be RV owners.
- Renting is also an option, and inner-city Millennials might consider this option as they pursue a lock-up-and-go lifestyle.
- Around 90% of RV owners take three or more mini-vacations every year in the US. That shows how affordable and easily accessible RV holidays can be. With all the hidden costs in travel, RV owners can reduce the costs anywhere from 27-62% for a family of four.
- The economic impact of the RV industry has an incredible impact of $114 billion and provides over 600,000 jobs, not to be sneezed at for any industry. If the production continues as well as predicted, there will be even more jobs and benefits for the US economy.
Campervans in the UK
- In the UK, where RVs are called motorhomes or campervans, record numbers of motorhomes and caravans have been sold in the UK.
- Industry analysts report a record number of motorhomes and campervans have been sold in the UK in the past year as the leisure vehicle industry continues to rise to the challenge of unprecedented demand for campervans.
- The UK’s National Caravan Council (NCC) said that 16,608 new motorhomes were registered with the country’s Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) in the 12 months from 1 July 2020 to the end of June 2021.
- This is an 8.25% increase on the previous record, from the 2018/19 period. The total value of sales of new motorhomes has now reached its highest ever value in the UK, about £1.15 billion.
- The growth of domestic holidays while international travel remains restricted is one big contributor to these sales. But the NCC also believes that the ability to undertake other outdoor pursuits safely while on a motorhome or campervan holiday is also a big factor.
- Another is the widespread availability of reliable WiFi internet connectivity, both in camping units and on campsites, which allows people who have been working from home to work from anywhere.
Top RV Trends for 2022
- The US RV Industry Association is still confident about the number of units it will sell in 2022, but the association has revised its earlier projections that it would again sell more than 600,000 RVs.
- The latest projections show the industry might just miss the above mark it surpassed in 2021. The latest edition of RV RoadSigns, the quarterly industry forecast, now projects a total of between 578,000 and 603,300 RV units for 2022.
- The RV Industry Association said it expects the total to be about 591,100. That is a 1.5% drop from 2021.
- Despite this, RV manufacturers appear to be off to a grand start for 2022. January shipments were up 16 % from the previous January. RVIA officials said some of that early activity was due to restocking dealers, and they expected the pace of growth to slow as 2022 progresses.
So for your next holiday, be a tourist in your own country, hire a campervan to see if the lifestyle’s for you and pack your bags and the family dog. Go explore.