When it comes to buying a watch, you’re spoilt for choice. There are budget-friendly options that look great, and then there are the exclusive, unique timepieces that cost a pretty penny.
We’ve taken it upon ourselves to uncover some of the world’s most ridiculously expensive timepieces. Some are covered in diamonds, while others were originally designed to be worn by royalty. Regardless of their design purpose, they’re a thing of beauty and make a real statement.
Three Kinds Of Expensive Watches
Expensive watches can be divided into 3 categories, but in some cases, they may have characteristics of more than one category, or at a push, be a combination of all 3!
- The traditional set up: These watches are expensive as a result of the time spent designing and engineering each unique piece. Often, these watches feature the classic cogs and gears to track the time and embrace the history of timekeeping.
- The bling set up: These watches are expensive due to the materials used to craft them. From precious metals to diamonds and gems, they look the part and scream “expensive timepiece”. It needs to be sparkling to be expensive, right?
- Famous watches: Theses piece were previously owned by famous people, and as such, have increased in value. In some cases, they have slight defects that have made them famous and one-of-a-kind. Collectable watches can have quite the hefty price tag, especially when they’re deemed vintage and unique.
15 Of The World’s Most Expensive Watches
Graff Diamonds Hallucination
Price: $55 Million
The Hallucination holds the official title of the world’s most expensive watch. Made from 110kt of coloured diamonds in a variety of cuts and finishes and featuring a platinum bracelet, it’s easy to see how this watch earned its title.
Graff Diamonds The Fascination
Price: $40 Million
If you think that you’ve seen it all, hold on to your hats, folks. This watch contains 152.96kt worth of white diamonds as well as a detachable 38.13kt diamond ring.
Breguet Grande Complication Marie-Antoinette
Price: $30 Million
You can take a look at the internal mechanics of this watch that took over 40 years to make! It was a gift to Marie Antoinette by one of her ex-lovers. Unfortunately, she was executed before she could see the final product.
Jaeger-LeCoultre Joaillerie 101 Manchette
Price: $26 million
To celebrate her 60th year in power, Queen Elizabeth II was gifted this beautiful watch. It’s customisable and can feature 576 diamonds as well as a sapphire dial.
Chopard 201-Carat Watch
Price: $25 Million
Encrusted with colourful diamonds and 163kt yellow and white diamonds, it’s easy to see why this watch has such a jaw-dropping price tag.
Jacob & Co. Billionaire Watch
Price: $18 Million
The beautifully designed skeleton face features 260kt diamond and represents the true spirit of the brand. Floyd Mayweather is just one of the celebrities that have splashed out on this timepiece.
Paul Newman Rolex Daytona
Price: $17.6 Million
Actor Paul Newman was gifted this watch by his wife as a tribute to his passion for motorsport and horology. This watch was originally difficult to sell, but after Paul was spotted wearing it, the price went through the roof and sold for a large sum at auction.
Patek Philippe Ref. 1527
Price: $5.7 Million
Looks can be deceiving. It may look simple on the outside, but this watch contains over 20 varieties of precious stones and is housed in 20kt rose gold. Crafted in 1943, the Patek Philippe Ref. 1527 is the only one of its kind.
Hublot Big Bang Diamond
Price: $5 Million
Add some sparkle to your life with this piece of art. It features 1280 diamonds that have all been hand cut. Jay-Z originally received this as a birthday present from Beyoncé for his 43rd birthday. We now know what to buy the man who has everything!
Louis Moinet Meteoris
Price: $4.6 Million
This watch contains a piece of moon rock, making it extremely rare. Adding to the exclusivity is the fact that only four of these timepieces were made.
Breguet Antique Number 2667
Price: $4.5 Million
An 18kt yellow gold pocket watch, this Breguet model features an elegant design that screams sophistication and class. This pocket watch was manufactured in 1814 out of 18 carat gold and it has to oscillating bodies, making it incredibly advanced for its time.
Rolex Daytona Ref. 6263 Oyster Albino
Price: $4 Million
The distinctive white hue of the chronograph subdials gives the Rolex Daytona Ref. 6263 Oyster Albino its name. Only four of these beauties were ever made, with this specific piece previously owned by Eric Clapton too. It looks like the singer has great taste in timepieces!
Patek Philippe 1928 Single Button Chronograph
Price: $3.6 Million
A vintage piece created in 1924, the Single Button Chronograph was previously owned by Eric Clapton. It’s made of 18kt white gold and is decorated with 28 different jewels. A bonus? It also tells the current moon phase.
Franck Muller Aeternitas Mega 4
Price: $2.7 Million
Not only is this beauty expensive, but it also holds the title of the world’s most complicated wristwatch. The Mega 4 holds the record for most components in a watch – 1483 to be exact!
Vacheron Constantin Tour de I’Ile
Price: $1.5 Million
This piece was manufactured in 2005 by Swiss watch manufacturer Vacheron Constantin. Only three of these watches were made to celebrate the company’s 250th anniversary, making it incredibly rare and all the more exclusive for collectors.
Make A Timeless Statement
If you’ve got money burning a hole in your pocket and a passion for collecting one-of-a-kind watches, this list is sure to inspire your next lavish purchase. Whether as a gift or for yourself, a stunning timepiece is the ultimate spoil.
Jump To a Section Below
- Three Kinds Of Expensive Watches
- 15 Of The World’s Most Expensive Watches
- Graff Diamonds Hallucination
- Graff Diamonds The Fascination
- Breguet Grande Complication Marie-Antoinette
- Jaeger-LeCoultre Joaillerie 101 Manchette
- Chopard 201-Carat Watch
- Jacob & Co. Billionaire Watch
- Paul Newman Rolex Daytona
- Patek Philippe Ref. 1527
- Hublot Big Bang Diamond
- Louis Moinet Meteoris
- Breguet Antique Number 2667
- Rolex Daytona Ref. 6263 Oyster Albino
- Patek Philippe 1928 Single Button Chronograph
- Franck Muller Aeternitas Mega 4
- Vacheron Constantin Tour de I’Ile
- Make A Timeless Statement