Amethyst is admired for its rich deep purple colour. This special crystal derives its name from Greek Amethystos, which when translated, literally means “a cure and remedy against drunkenness”.
Amethyst crystal is also appreciated for being a natural reliever of stress and anxiety. It brings a certain calm and positive energy to the table, which is something all human beings are in great need of during stressful times.
But in order to get the most from this beautiful crystal, cleansing is necessary. How to cleanse amethyst is, therefore, an important consideration for every wearer and user.
We’ll now take an in-depth look at how to best cleanse, preserve and charge amethyst.
How To Cleanse Amethyst
Many great methods exist for cleansing amethyst. These include using earth, water, smoke, and even energy.
Amethyst is used far and wide for its incredible healing and calming powers. It’s become an effective cure for emotional as well as physical issues and is a great tool for balancing the body’s balance and chakra.
The biggest reason for cleansing amethyst is to rid the crystal of negative energy. Cleansing is especially important if you’ve received amethyst as a gift, meaning it has been handled by others. This is why it should absolutely be cleansed for ridding it of potentially negative energy.
Many people pose the question of how to identify when an amethyst becomes due for cleansing.
According to expert users and researchers, amethyst will radiate an emotive response when needing to be cleansed. It can also be that your crystal has become dull or cloudy, indicating the need for a cleanse.
Below are the best methods for cleansing your amethyst.
Method 1: Running Water
Water is considered one of the best ways to clean amethyst, especially running water, as this helps to remove any negative energy by returning the stone back to the earth’s natural environment.
Natural water is best for cleansing amethyst – for example, a stream. But for those who don’t have regular access to nature and naturally running water, bottled spring water is the next best alternative.
When cleaning amethyst with running water, 1 minute per stone is ideal. In fact, this method of cleansing is ideal for hard stones of the quartz family. It should however be avoided when cleansing softer crystals such as halite, kyanite, and selenite.
Method 2: Brown Rice
Our second method of choice for cleansing amethyst is to bury your stone in a bowl of brown rice.
The method is simple: fill a bowl with brown rice and bury your crystal deep beneath the grains.
Remember that since the rice will absorb negative energy, it is important to discard it directly after use.
An ideal period of time for this method is 24 hours at a time.
Other Methods To Cleanse Amethyst
But water and brown rice aren’t the only methods of effectively cleaning amethyst.
Below are more safe and effective methods:
- Bathing in natural light. The best way to cleanse your amethyst with the help of natural light is to set it outside before nightfall and bring it back in before 11 a.m. This will help your crystal to make the best of the cleansing powers offered by the moon and natural sunlight.
- Remember to bring your crystal back in before outside temperatures begin to rise.
- Place your crystal directly onto the surface of the earth. Afterwards, rinse your crystal with the help of running water to remove any dirt.
- Sage is another enormously effective method of cleansing your amethyst crystal. This plant is regarded as sacred and possesses a world of healing properties. For this method, you will have to burn sage in a fire-safe bowl. Make sure that you’re performing this method of cleansing near an open window. Allow the smoke of the sage to envelop your crystal for at least 30 seconds.
How Often Do I Need To Cleanse Amethyst?
Since the more often you use your amethyst crystal, the more energy it will collect and absorb, a good rule is to clean your crystal at least once a month.
However, should you feel that they are being subjected to negative energy on a more regular basis, then more regular cleansing will become necessary to cleanse and preserve your crystal’s healing powers.
Why Do I Need To Cleanse Amethyst?
Despite the exceptionally high vibration held by amethyst, this vibration can at times be thrown out of balance. The reason for this is that amethyst can be affected by negative conditions.
Amethyst has incredible calming and healing properties, and when these become unbalanced, your crystal might end up losing some of these wonderful abilities.
Enlightenment can only truly occur when you and your amethyst are in tune with each other. Once your crystal becomes out of tune or balance, it loses its power to provide you with many of its powerful benefits. Cleansing your amethyst will restore it to its original healing state.
Can You Charge Amethyst In The Moonlight?
For charging amethyst, subjecting it to the light radiated by the full moon is a special and ideal method. Charging with the help of the moonlight happens on an energetic level. Many believe that subjecting crystals to the moonlight can help recharge their positive energies.
Should you miss the Full Moon, it’s just as effective to put them out a night before or after for the best results.
Below is a great how-to method for charging amethyst with the help of the light of the moon:
- Place your crystals outside by laying them out in a spacious manner.
- Ideally, amethyst should be placed on a portion of natural earth when left to charge in the moonlight.
- If you don’t have access to a piece of natural earth or lawn, you can also place your crystals on a windowsill or wooden plate on something like a balcony.
- The best way is to leave the amethyst outside overnight and collect them again in the early morning. Since some crystals don’t enjoy too much direct sunlight, be careful with the time of exposure.
- Remember to always express your gratitude by focusing on those things you feel thankful for.