If you have a sister-in-law, then you will know the joy of being gifted with a sister a little bit later in life. For many people, a sister-in-law means a special lifelong friend that can be turned to for advice in difficult times, and belly-aching laughs in good ones. You also celebrate many of life’s milestones with your beloved sister-in-law.
When her birthday comes around, it’s important to let her know just how happy you are that she’s part of your family. Although she may not have shared your childhood, she will be around for a long time to come.
If you’re a bit stuck for ideas about what to write in her birthday card, have a look at some of our suggestions below. You can help her make her special day memorable.
Feel free to adapt them in any way that you see fit so that your sister-in-law’s birthday message is one that will mean the world to her.
Jump To a Section Below
How to Say Happy Birthday to a Sister-in-Law
Personalized birthday wishes are always a lot more special than generic ones are, and your sister-in-law is bound to feel wonderful after reading hers. Below are three simple tips on how to personalize her birthday card:
- Most of us have nicknames for the people close to us. If you have one for your sister-in-law, use it in the card. By addressing the card to her nickname, she will immediately be reminded of the special bond that the two of you share.
- What makes your sister-in-law special? What makes her shine out from other people? Perhaps she is a great mother, perhaps she makes your sibling happier than you could ever have imagined, or perhaps she is excellent at giving advice. Either way, try to include something in the card about what makes her so special. Make sure that whatever you write to your sister-in-law comes straight from the heart. This could just be a personality trait, or perhaps even a memory that you treasure most. Including it in her birthday card will make for a heart-warming moment.
- If your sister-in-law has a special nickname for you, be sure to sign the card with that nickname. This will pull the card together quite nicely and reinforce the idea of the bond that the two of you share – what could be more special than that?
When composing your birthday message to your sister-in-law, don’t rush into it and write something that you don’t mean.
Sit down, relax, reflect and take your time with it. The more effort you put into the card, the more she will love it. It’s the thought that counts, after all.
Heartfelt Birthday Wishes For Your Sister-In-Law
- I am so unbelievably happy that you are a member of our family! May the coming year bring you every wonderful thing you have ever wished for. Happy birthday to you, my special sister-in-law! Sending you all my love always.
- So many people refer to you as my “sister-in-law” or my “brother’s wife” when they speak to me, but I like to refer to you by your other title: my friend. I hope your birthday is as fun and fabulous as you are.
- To my beloved sister-in-law; you’ve always gone out of your way to include me in so many aspects of your life. I want you to know that I appreciate everything that you do for our family so much. You are warm, caring and have a generous nature. My wish for you is that your birthday is joyous, momentous and prosperous. Happy birthday!
- My darling sister-in-law, you may be our parents’ newest beloved daughter, and my brother’s treasured wife, but you are also my best friend. Thank you for bringing so much joy and happiness into all our lives. May this coming year be meaningful and bright. Happy birthday!
- Sister-in-Law, thank you for showing me that I can always rely on you. No matter what the issue is, you are a constant source of help and support. Thank you for being such an understanding and generous person, and I pray that your birthday is as warm, bright, and wondrous as you are! Happiest of birthdays to you!
- Happy birthday to my amazing sister-in-law. You may not have been born my sister, but you’re my sister all the same.
- To my incredible sister-in-law, I hope this year’s celebration reaches new heights of happiness. I hope it is filled with plenty of laughter, love and all the people you care about. Happy birthday!
- Happy birthday to my sister-in-law! You make every day so much brighter with your smile. I hope you are treated to all of life’s sweetest surprises, not just today, but always.
- To my sister-in-law and in life: happy birthday! You have been a treasured gift ever since you joined our family. I wish you plenty of new, cherished memories on your special day. Wishing you plenty of joy and love in the coming year.
Funny Happy Birthday Wishes For Your Sister-In-Law
Of course, everyone loves to receive a joke or two along with their birthday wishes. Take a look at some of our ideas for funny birthday messages for your sister-in-law:
- You drink too much, you cuss too much and you have questionable morals… you’re everything I ever wanted in a sister-in-law. Happy Birthday!
- I smile because you’re my sister-in-law. I laugh because there’s nothing you can do about it! Happy birthday.
- Happy birthday sister-in-law! Another year of surviving my brother…
- I know our family may be loud and crazy, but at least we are crazy about you! Happy birthday sister-in-law!
- To my dear sister-in-law: I was trying to think of the perfect gift to give you for your birthday… but then I realized that you already have the best gift: me as your brother-in-law. I couldn’t possibly top that, so I went for this bottle of your favourite red wine instead! Enjoy it – I hope it brings you as much joy as you bring to our family.
Inspirational Sister-in-Law Quotes
If you want to highlight how much you admire your sister in law, these quotes sum this feeling up beautifully:
- “She is free in her wildness, she is a wanderess, a drop of free water. She knows nothing of borders and cares nothing for rules or customs. ‘Time’ for her isn’t something to fight against. Her life flows clean, with passion, like fresh water.”― Roman Payne. Happiest of birthdays to you, my sweet sister-in-law! May you continue to thrive being the strong, inspirational woman that you are. I love you!
- “Always aim high, work hard, and care deeply about what you believe in. And, when you stumble, keep faith. And, when you’re knocked down, get right back up and never listen to anyone who says you can’t or shouldn’t go on.”—Hillary Rodham Clinton. You are the embodiment of this quote, my dearest sister-in-law. May you continue to inspire us all in the coming year. Happy birthday to you!
- “I’m a woman
—Maya Angelou. Happy birthday to one of the most Phenomenal Women I know. You are the best sister-in-law I could ever have wished for.
- “Fill your life with women that empower you, that help you believe in your magic and aid them to believe in their own exceptional power and their incredible magic too. Women that believe in each other can survive anything. Women who believe in each other create armies that will win kingdoms and wars.” – Nikita Gill. Thank you for always believing in me, and for always empowering me. Happiest of birthdays to you, my sister-in-law.
- “If you’re comfortable with yourself and know yourself, you’re going to shine and radiate, and other people are going to be drawn to you.” – Dolly Parton. I see this in you every day. Keep shining and drawing people to you. Happy birthday, my inspirational sister-in-law. I am so thankful that you have joined our family.
- “Each person is born with very individual qualities and potential. We as a society owe it to women to create a truly supportive environment in which they too can grow and move forward.” – Princess Diana. Thank you for creating a supportive environment for all of us. We can never thank you enough. Happy birthday, sister-in-law!
- “I am learning every day to allow the space between where I am and where I want to be to inspire me and not terrify me. I can even ask for help! Not feeling that I have to know everything…that’s where the growth comes in, in the not knowing.” – Tracee Ellis Ross. You help me grow with every laugh, with every tale and with every chat we share. Happy birthday to you, my darling sister-in-law.
- We weren’t sisters by birth, but we knew from the start… Fate brought us together to be sisters by heart.
- As a sister-in-law, you’re great. As a friend, you are the best. To have you in our family, makes us all so truly blessed.
- To a very special sister-in-law, a happy birthday’s due. With a wish that the year that lies ahead is wonderful for you.
- God didn’t make us sisters by birth. Instead, He gave us a friendship with more worth.
- You’re a really special sister-in-law, and every now and then, it’s good to have a chance like this to tell you so again.
- They can call you sister-in-law, or my brother’s wife. It doesn’t really matter – you’re a special person in my life.
- I’m so lucky to have a special sister-in-law like you. May all your hopes and birthday wishes come true!
She may be your sister by marriage, but your birthday wishes can make her feel like family. Use these ideas as inspiration and pen a message that means the world.