There’s no one quite like your dad. He’s always been there to lift you up, make you laugh and give you all the support you could possibly need.
Our dads are our real-life superheroes.
Sure, their jokes might not always be as funny as they think they are, but we wouldn’t have it any other way. So, when your dad’s birthday comes around, it’s important to try and find the right words to write in his card. It’s not as easy as it sounds – how do you summarise exactly what he means to you in just a few sentences? He’s been there for you through thick and thin, always looking out for your best interests and making plenty of sacrifices to benefit you along the way.
If your dad’s birthday is coming up soon and you’re battling to find just the right words, don’t worry. Below, we have put together a list of tips and suggestions for what to write so that you can help make your dad’s next birthday his most special one yet!
Jump To a Section Below
Make It Personal
- You can make your dad’s birthday extra special by personalising the card you write to him. If you have sweet names that you call him, like “daddybear”, “pops” or “papa”, then address the card as such. Similarly, if he has a pet name for you, sign the card with that name.
- Consider what makes your dad stand out from all the other dads. Can he make you laugh even when you are feeling down? Is he a super fan of rugby or cricket? Did he teach you how to ride a bicycle? Try to incorporate some of what makes him special into your birthday message, whether it be a memory from long ago, or just something about the bond that you have with him today.
- The most important thing to do is to write your birthday message to him from the heart. He will love the amount of time and effort you put into making his day that much more special with the birthday card you present him.
Inspirational Birthday Messages For Dad
We have a few messages that can help you compose the perfect birthday wish for your dad. Feel free to add your own special touch and adapt them in a way that you know he will love!
- Wishing you the happiest of birthdays, Dad! You have always been my inspiration. Watching the effort and determination that you always put into everything you do is incredible. We love you!
- Daddy, my wish for you this year is that it is filled with lots of love, luck and good health. Thank you for being a magnificent, inspirational ray of sunshine in my life. Happy birthday!
- Happy birthday! Thank you for being an amazing father and for letting me see my own inner strength. Because of you, I know I can overcome any obstacle.
- Happy birthday to my outstanding father! You are truly one of a kind and I am so thankful to be able to call you my Dad. In the coming year, I wish you true joy, happiness, success and health.
- Happy birthday, Dad! Today, I celebrate you and everything that you have taught me to be. Thank you for being you and for allowing me to be me. There will never be adequate words to let you know just how much you mean to me. Here’s to a marvellous year ahead!
- Happy birthday to the man who has had a tremendous impact on my past. I look so forward to sharing my achievements with you in the future. May this year bring you everything you want and more. I love you, Dad!
- Every day, you inspire me to be a better version of myself. Thank you for that. Happy birthday, Dad!
Funny Happy Birthday Dad Messages
We all know dads appreciate a good joke – especially if it’s a dad joke! Give him a taste of his own medicine with one of these funny birthday wishes for dads that will make him chuckle.
- Not all heroes wear capes. Some of them just make bad jokes. Thank you for being my hero, Dad. Happy birthday!
- The finest scotch is well-aged scotch. I didn’t get you any scotch – it’s just a metaphor, scotch is way too expensive. Should I have gotten you scotch? Perhaps one from a hotel minibar… Oh yes, I almost forgot: Happy birthday Dad!
- Did you know that the worse a dad’s jokes are, the better the father they are? Well, now at least we know why you’re such an amazing dad. I hope your day is much better than your jokes are. Happy birthday!
- Happy birthday to my biggest protector. Thank you for fighting all the monsters hiding under my bed and in my closet, and for making me feel safe and loved. I love you, Dad!
- It’s a good thing they’ve started making those big number candles now. The fire department said it would be a hazard to light all those mini candles on your cake, old man. I am so thankful to be able to spend this time with you, my wonderful father. Happy birthday!
- Don’t worry, Dad! You’re not going bald; you’re just becoming more aerodynamic. May this coming year bring you all the love, laughter and happiness you can imagine. Happiest of birthdays to you.
- Remember, it’s not the years in a life, but the beers in the years! Drink up, Dad! Cheers to you and the coming year. May it bring you endless joy and may all your wishes come true. Happy birthday!
- I spent ages trying to think of the perfect thing to write. I couldn’t get it right. I know Mom is watching you read this card, so please just act like I wrote something really touching. Pretend that you’re trying not to cry. If anyone asks, just say it’s too personal to share. Thanks dad – you’re the greatest. Happy birthday! Now smile and close the card.
Happy Birthday Dad Quotes
There are so many beautiful quotes on dads and the important role they play in our lives. And there are some pretty funny dad quotes too! Combine one of these inspirational dad quotes with a “Happy Birthday Dad” for the perfect birthday wishes for your pappy on his birthday.
- “Anyone can be a father, but it takes someone special to be a dad. And that’s why I call you dad, because you are so special to me. You taught me the game and you taught me how to play it right.” – Wade Boggs
- “Dads are most ordinary men turned by love into heroes, adventurers, story-tellers, and singers of song.” – Pam Brown
- “Old as she was, she still missed her Daddy sometimes.” – Gloria Naylor
- “The quality of a father can be seen in the goals, dreams and aspirations he sets not only for himself, but for his family.” – Reed Markham
- “My father didn’t tell me how to live. He lived and let me watch him do it.” – Clarence Budington Kelland
- “Behind every great daughter is a truly amazing Dad.” – Anonymous
- “My father gave me the greatest gift anyone could give another person: he believed in me.” – Jim Valvano
- “My father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic. – Spike Milligan
- “When you’re young, you think your dad is Superman. Then you grow up, and you realize he’s just a regular guy who wears a cape.” – Dave Attell
Happy Birthday Dad in Heaven
Sometimes our Dads can’t be with us on their birthday, as they’ve passed on. That doesn’t mean you can’t still celebrate their life here on earth. Wish your father a happy birthday in heaven with these birthday messages that honour and remember him.
- I am sending across my best birthday wishes to the best dad I know. He may not be here now, but he’s forever in my heart. Happy birthday dad!
- May our friends and family in heaven hold you closely and sing you a song. And I’ll be sending a million hugs and kisses today and all year long. Happy birthday Dad.
- I have a guardian angel in heaven, I call him Dad. Lots of love on your birthday. Miss you.
- Happy Birthday dad in heaven. Together in the same old way would be my dearest wish today.
- We know you would be here today if Heaven weren’t so far away. Happy birthday Dad.
- As each day passes I miss you more and more, but today, on your birthday, I miss you the most. On this day that honours you, I pray that the Heavens above are rejoicing in your name, and also reminding you of how very special you are to me. I’ll never forget you and how much you meant to me. Happy birthday Dad.
- Wishing you were here today Dad, for even just a while. So I could say Happy Birthday and see your loving smile.
- Thank you for giving me enough love, wisdom, warmth, and memories to last a lifetime. I miss you every day, but I know that you’re still with me. Happy birthday in heaven, Dad.
- Dad, remembering you is easy, I do it every day. Missing you is the heartache that never goes away. Wishing you a happy birthday.
- Those we love don’t go away, they walk beside us every day. Unseen, unheard, but always nearby. Still missed & very dear. Love you, Papa!
At the end of the day, it doesn’t matter what you get your dad for his birthday or what you decide to write in his card. He will treasure the effort that you have put in to helping make his day even more special!