Who among us doesn’t know the frustration of taking time to find a perfect birthday gift and gorgeous card, only to be stymied when it comes to composing a message?
A simple “Happy birthday” just doesn’t cut it.
We’ve all seen and heard it so many times before that it’s become boringly impersonal.
That’s why we’ve put together all the tips and suggestions you need to write a birthday card message that’s awesome not yawnsome. Use these tips to write a heartfelt or humorous message of your own or put your spin on any of the birthday wishes below.
How To Write Birthday Wishes
Use the following steps to write the best birthday wishes:
- Address the card to the person you know, which means writing the name you call them by. If they’re your best friend and you usually use their nickname, write their nickname in the card.
- The tone you use should be appropriate for your relationship with that person. If they’re a beloved grandparent, the tone will be different from the one you would use for a respected business colleague.
- Write your wish for their special day and/or for the next 12 months ahead of them. Don’t feel you have to stick to the typical health and wealth stuff, or that you have to be deep and meaningful. If appropriate, you can make your wish a humorous one.
- If you have any special memories of the birthday boy or girl you may want to include a mention of them in your message. It’s a way of expressing gratitude for their presence in your life.
- If you’re giving them a gift as well as the card, you can mention it in the message. If the gift’s a spa package, let them know that you hope they enjoy the pampering!
Funny Birthday Wishes
Make them smile by including a touch of humour in your birthday wishes for them:
- Happy birthday to one of the few people whose birthday I can remember without a Facebook reminder.
- Take every birthday with a grain of salt. This works much better if the salt accompanies a large margarita.
- Congratulations on being a step closer to senior discounts! Happy birthday!
- Some say the glass is half empty, others say the glass is half full. It’s your birthday, just drink whatever’s in the glass!
- Sorry there’s no cake. I had just finished lighting the candles when the fire department arrived… Happy birthday!
- Happy Birthday! I wouldn’t say you’re getting old. Well, I wouldn’t say it to your face.
- Another 365 days since you feel out of a vagina. Hooray!
- Don’t think of your birthday as getting older, think of it as becoming a classic.
- Cheers to another year of complete disregard for age-appropriate behaviour. Happy birthday, friend.
- A birthday is just nature’s way of reminding you to pick up wine on the way home.
- Happy candle-blowing, wish-making, cake-eating day!
Birthday Wishes For A Friend
Our friends are our chosen family. Let yours know they are important to you with birthday wishes that are sentimental, cheeky or flat out hilarious:
- We’ve been through a lot together and most of it was your fault. Happy birthday.
- Wine, wishes & cupcake kisses to you on your birthday.
- Thanks for all the adventures we’ve had together and for being someone I can always count on. Happy birthday, friend.
- Happy birthday to my partner in wine.
- Happy birthday you son of a really nice lady who deserves respect.
- Once upon a time, you were born. The rest is legendary. You make life epic. Never stop being you. Party on, friend. Party on.
- You’re simply the best. Happy birthday, friend.
- Those aren’t grey hairs you see. They’re strands of birthday glitter growing of your head.
- You’re the best friend anyone could ask for. Happy birthday!
- You are older today than yesterday, but younger than tomorrow. Happy birthday.
- May you live to be so old that your driving terrifies people.
What to Write in a Birthday Card for Mom
No one can replace the woman who raised you. Let your birthday wishes for Mom be a reminder that she’s special.
A few suggestions include:
- You’re my mother, my role-model, and my superhero. Happy birthday, Mom. I love you.
- The cakes you bake are too good to be true, but they’re nowhere as sweet as you. Happy birthday, Mum.
- Thank you, Mom, for the sacrifices you made for me. I hope you have a wonderful birthday, and that the year ahead is filled with happiness.
- Thank you for being the best mom anyone could ask for. You believed in the best in me, even after seeing me at my worst.
- When God made you, he said Ta-Da! Happy birthday, mum.
- Mom, thanks for wiping my bum all these years. Happy birthday.
What to Write in a Birthday Card for Dad
Your father is many things – a rock of support, a pillar of strength, and a consummate teller of dad jokes, so let him know that you appreciate him.
The following suggestions may help:
- Happy birthday to my hero. Thank you for all you’ve done for me, Dad. I’m lucky to have you.
- We’ve laughed, smiled, and made many happy memories. Thanks for being the best dad in the world. Happy birthday!
- From campfires to football, you can do it all. Thanks for being one of my greatest teachers. Happy birthday, Dad.
- Thank you for being a person I can admire every day. Happy birthday to the best dad ever.
- Happy birthday, Pops! Another beer older. Another beer wiser
Birthday Wishes for Your Daughter
She’s the apple of your eye and a rose among thorns. Add to the magic of your daughter’s birthday by giving her a card with a special message:
- You can be a royal pain sometimes, but I love you anyway, princess. Have a happy birthday and a wonderful year ahead.
- Watching you grow more beautiful and wiser every year is a blessing. We love you and we wish you a happy birthday.
- We’re proud to have watched our little girl become a strong young woman. Happy birthday!
Birthday Wishes For Your Son
Your son is one of your greatest gifts. Remind him of how much you love him on his birthday:
- Son, you’ve made us proud parents. Our little boy has grown into a young man that we admire. Happy birthday.
- Dear son, no gift that I give you can equal the gift that you have been to me. I love you. Happy birthday.
- You make me smile every day. I hope the year ahead is filled with reasons for you to smile. Happy birthday, son.
Birthday Wishes For Your Sister
The relationship between siblings is unique. Your sister knows you in ways no one else ever will so let them know they’re special to you:
- I may have not liked sharing sweets or toys with you, but I’m glad we shared our childhood. Happy birthday!
- Happy Birthday sis! Here’s to aging, here’s to wrinkles, here’s to laughing ’till we tinkles…
- Happy Birthday to you, my amazing beautiful sister. May your day be full of love, laughter, chocolate, wishes, loads of love and big birthday squishes!
- Happy birthday to the most charming person on the planet! I love you, sis!
Birthday Wishes For Your Brother
No-one is there for you quite like a brother. Show him your appreciation for all he’s done with you with these brotherly birthday wishes:
- Happy birthday to the second coolest person I know.
- Being related to me is really the only gift you need. Just saying. Happy birthday!
- Thanks for being there for me, brother. Wishing you a happy birthday and many more to come.
- Happy birthday to a brother who has the world’s greatest sister. Dang you’re so lucky!
Birthday Wishes For Grandparents
Grandparents are special. Let yours know that you value them:
- Thank you for being a light in my life, granny/grandpa. Happy birthday!
- Don’t let old age get you down… It’s too hard to get back up!
- You’ve cared for me, been there for me, loved me, and spoiled me. I love you, granny/grandpa. Happy birthday!
- Happy birthday to the coolest grandparent in the world. Thank you for everything you’ve done for me.
- May ageing continue to be good to you. Happy Birthday Gramps/Gran.
Birthday Wishes For Your Husband
Whether you want to make him feel super special or want to give him a good ol’ belly laugh, these birthday card greetings for hubby should do the trick:
- No matter what life throws at you, at least you have a younger wife. Happy Birthday.
- Loving you is a privilege, knowing you is a blessing, being with you is a dream come true.
- Another year old and you now have everything going for you. Your hair is going, your eyesight is going and your mind is going!
- Happy birthday, babes. I love you with all of my boobs (I would say heart but my boobs are bigger).
- You’re a knobhead. But you’re my knobhead. Happy Birthday.
- Sometimes I wonder how you put up with me. Then I remember I put up with you. So we’re even. Happy birthday, my love.
Birthday Wishes For Your Wife
She’s stuck around with you after all these years. Or she’s just agreed to marry you (can you believe it?!) Either way, use these birthday wishes to show how much she means to you:
- More than a wife, in you I have found a friend for life… Happy Birthday.
- For the wife who strives every day to keep us all together and fill our hearts with love, joy and happiness. Happy Birthday my love.
- There is no one else I would rather argue other nothing with than you.
- Don’t get all weird about getting older! Our age is merely the number of years the world has been enjoying us!
- Happy birthday, honey! At least you’re not as old as you will be next year.
- Happy birthday my crazy, wonderful, hilarious and truly amazing wife.
Romantic & Sentimental Birthday Wishes
Happy birthday, my love! Show your significant other they are the love of your life with these heart-warming birthday wishes for that special person in your life:
- If I had my life to live over again, I’d find you sooner and love you longer. Happy Birthday. I love you.
- My world is a better place because you are in it. I love you. Happy birthday!
- I wouldn’t be the person I am without you. Thank you for being my lover, my best friend, and my significant other. Happy birthday.
- I hope you have a birthday that is as wonderful as you are. Happy birthday!
- To the world you may be one person, but to me you are the whole world. Happy birthday!
Belated Birthday Wishes
Forgot to wish them? Oops! Not to worry. Make it up to them with some of these funny birthday wishes:
- I know you had lots of birthday wishes yesterday. But who is thinking of you today? Me, that’s who. Happy Belated Birthday.
- The head forgets… but the heart remembers. Happy Belated Birthday!
- You know what they say about birthday wishes… better late than never! Happy birthday!
- I didn’t forget your birthday. I just wanted to help prolong the celebration. Happy belated birthday.
- I missed your birthday, and now you’re even older! (Sorry)
- I know it’s too late to wish you a Happy Birthday so instead, I’m wishing you a Happy Day today.
Whether you want to make them laugh or see just how much you love them, these messages make saying happy birthday meaningful!
I am an experienced writer specializing in travel, food, weddings, and well-being. Continuing my nomadic lifestyle I am currently based on the beautiful island of Malta.
Jump To a Section Below
- How To Write Birthday Wishes
- Funny Birthday Wishes
- Birthday Wishes For A Friend
- What to Write in a Birthday Card for Mom
- What to Write in a Birthday Card for Dad
- Birthday Wishes for Your Daughter
- Birthday Wishes For Your Son
- Birthday Wishes For Your Sister
- Birthday Wishes For Your Brother
- Birthday Wishes For Grandparents
- Birthday Wishes For Your Husband
- Birthday Wishes For Your Wife
- Romantic & Sentimental Birthday Wishes
- Belated Birthday Wishes