Our mums mean the world to us. They’re our caregivers, our voices of reason and oftentimes, our best friends too. Mothers are superheroes in their own special way.
But what about the card?
It can sometimes be difficult to find the right words to let her know just how much she means to you. How do you summarise every wonderful thing that she has done for you in a few sentences? “Happy birthday” just isn’t enough.
If you, like so many of us out there, struggle to find the perfect words for your lovely mum, have a look at some of our ideas below.
Jump To a Section Below
How To Wish Mum a Happy Birthday
A few extra touches here and there will really make your mum feel special. Follow these steps to personalise the card – it will make all the difference!
- If you have a special name that you call your mum, like “mumsy”, “momaloo” or even “mama duck”, use it to address the card.
- Think about what makes your mum unique. Is she very loving? Does she love being glamourous? Would you describe her as creative or thoughtful? Think about whatever it is that makes her exceptional and select a few adjectives to incorporate into your overall message.
- Try and write a birthday wish from the heart. Think about all the sweet, perfect things you wish for her for this new year in her life. Don’t rush it – sometimes something as precious as this takes time.
There’s no one in the world who could ever measure up to your mum, which is perhaps why it can be so difficult to put your birthday wishes for her into words.
Below are a few suggestions for you to use as a guideline. Incorporate any special memories or inside jokes you may have into them to help make her feel extra important on her special day.
Heartfelt Birthday Wishes for Mum
- Mum, if it weren’t for you, I would never even have become half the person I am today. Thank you for being an exceptional mother, an amazing friend and someone I look up to every day of my life. Happy birthday!
- I don’t know where I’d be without you. You taught me to be patient, you taught me to be kind. You also taught me to work hard and to respect others. Most importantly, you taught me to see the best in myself. On your special day, I want to say thank you for everything. Happy birthday, Mum!
- Cheers to a woman who is full of grace, love and lessons. We could not be more thankful for all you have done. Happy birthday to the world’s most wonderful mum!
- Mum – there are 365 days in a year, but your birthday outshines every single one of them.
- We are so blessed to have you to turn to for advice, to mend our broken hearts and to make such special memories with. We appreciate everything you have done for us and not a day goes by when we are not thankful for you and everything you continue to do. Happy birthday!
- Mum, you are not just the most special mum in the world. You are out light on my darkest day, and the brightest smile in any room. You do so much for our family – I think you’re a superhero! Happy birthday, SuperMum!
- Happy birthday to the very first friend I ever had! I don’t know how I got so lucky to have you by my side through all of life’s ups and downs. You’re always there for me, and I hope you know that I am always here for you.
- I hope your day is filled with all of your favourite things: love, flowers, laughter, family and loads of cake! Happy birthday to you, Mum. You are my rock.
Funny Birthday Messages for Mum
- Thank you for not telling my sisters/ brothers I’m your favourite!
- Happy birthday to a mom who looks young enough to be my sister. Note that if you ever start looking younger than me, we’re going to have problems!
- Happy birthday to my dear Mum! May we continue to drive each other crazy for years to come.
- We have the perfect mother and daughter relationship. You’re my mother & I’m perfect. Happy birthday, Mum!
- Happy birthday, Mum! Now that I’m older I want to thank you for never leaving me in a shopping cart and running away. I know it was tempting.
- I would have got you a funny card, but I know at your age bladder control can be a problem… Happy birthday, Mum!
- Happy birthday, Mum! Guess raising me didn’t send you to an early grave after all!
Birthday Messages To Send From Afar
Sometimes it’s not always possible to be with your mum on her special day. Here are some ideas for those of you sending birthday cards from afar.
- No matter how far apart we may be, you are always in my heart, Mum. Happy birthday!
- Mum, you showed me how to face the world, and now I’m travelling it! I couldn’t be more grateful for everything you have taught me. Happy birthday!
- Thank you for always giving me hope, always encouraging me and always supporting me. I wish I could be there with you on this special day. Happy birthday, my precious Mum!
- Mum, the more you praise and celebrate your life, the more there is in life to celebrate. I might not be there with you today, but today I am celebrating you. Happy birthday!
- Happy birthday, Mum! Thank you for being there for me through all the highs and through all the lows, and for everything in between. I wouldn’t be who I am today without you, but I do wish I was there with you.
- Sending love and hugs from afar to you, my Mum, my superstar! I hope that this day is just as special as you are! Thank you for everything that you have done for me – you mean more to me than words can say. Happy birthday!
Happy Birthday Mum Quotes
- “To the world, you may be one person, but to me, you are the whole world.” – Dr Seuss
- “A mother is your first friend, your best friend, your forever friend.” – Unknown
- “All that I am, or ever hope to be, I owe to my angel mother.” – Abraham Lincoln
- “Happy Birthday to the woman who gave me life then taught me how to live it.”– Unkown
- “A mother is she who can take the place of all other but whose place no one else can take.” – Cardinal Meymillod
- “Life doesn’t come with a manual, it comes with a mother.” – Unknown
- “Behind all your stories is always your mother’s story, because hers is where yours begins.” – Mitch Albom
- “A mother is the one who fills your heart in the first place.” – Amy Tan
- “Everything I am, you helped me to be.” – Unkown
Happy Birthday Poems for Mum
- Roses are red, violets are blue, there’s no one I’d rather turn to in times of need than you. Happy Birthday, Mum!
- I hope to be a mother like you. Strong, loving, devoted, inspiring, wonderful, and cool. Happy Birthday!
- I just want to let you know, you mean the world to me. Only a heart as dear as yours would give so unselfishly.
- Celebrating you today brings joy to my heart. To me, you’ll always be a priceless work of art.
- Mother, you are beautiful. Mother, you are kind. Endearing thoughts of love for you are always on my mind. Happy birthday.
Happy Birthday Mum in Heaven
If your mum is no longer with you in person, you can still celebrate the beautiful woman she was and your memories of her. Here are some messages that say “Happy heavenly birthday, Mum”.
- Mom, I know Heaven must be beautiful right now… because it has you in it! Happy birthday.
- Though you are not here with me, I know you will always guide me and be with me through thick and thin. Happy Birthday Mum in heaven.
- No words can describe how much I love you, and how I so wish you were here with me today. For your birthday, I send to you in Heaven all my love.
- Wherever you are resting I hope that you can see, how precious and uplifting your memory is to me.
- Not a day goes by when I don’t think of you, miss you, love you and thank God that I was blessed to be your daughter/son. Happy birthday, Mum.
- May our friends and family in heaven hold you closely and sing you a song. And I’ll be sending a million hugs and kisses today and all year long.
- So many memories, Mum, come flooding back today. Of birthday celebration before you went away.
When it comes to your mum’s birthday, be sure that you write her a card that’s from the heart. She is the most wonderful woman in the world, after all.
No matter what the birthday gift may be, she will absolutely love it and treasure your card’s message forever. Remember: she even loved those macaroni necklaces you used to make for her in nursery school!