In this case, only an insulated thermal bottle or flask will do. You can fill it up, and your insulated coffee flasks will stay warm for hours so you can enjoy that hike or the full day at your desk.
These are our top picks of the best insulated coffee flasks, thermoses and insulated bottles.
Jump To a Section Below
- The Best Thermal Coffee Flasks
- Hydro Flask Water Bottle
- Chilly’s Bottle
- Thermos Stainless King Flask
- Stanley Unisex’s Legendary Classic Easy-Pour Growler
- T2 Tea Insulated Flask
- SIGG Switzerland Unisex’s Hot and Cold Insulated Water Bottle
- Fijoo Triple Wall Insulated Coffee Thermos
- Klean Kanteen Classic Stainless Steel Water Bottle
- Bodum Bistro Thermo Jug
- Uniware 2407 Stainless Steel Vacuum Flask
- Hot Drink Flask Buying Guide
The Best Thermal Coffee Flasks
Hydro Flask Water Bottle
Capacity: 0.35L, 0.47L, 0.6L
Thermal Time: 6 hours
- 18/8 Stainless Steel and BPA Free Plastic
- TempShield insulation keeps beverages cold up to 24 hours and hot up to 12 hours
- Made with 18/8 pro-grade stainless steel to ensure durability, pure taste and no flavor transfer
- Flex Cap is leakproof when closed, to transport without worry
With a choice of colours from the dark and moody to the bright and vivid, as well as a pick of different sizes depending on when and where you are going, this bottle is the perfect companion for any eventuality.
The double-walled vacuum insulation will keep your hot drinks safe for up to six hours, which is likely plenty of time for any coffee addict to finish the lot off. It is made from 18/8 high-grade steel so is fabulous quality, and its also completely BPA free for anyone wanting to avoid plastic.
This also means that it won’t impart any funny tastes onto you drink no matter what you have in there. There is no absorption of odours either, and if you’re opting for a cold drink for the day, it will taste clean even 24 hours later.
With a powder matte finish, it will never look covered in condensation and will be hard to tarnish too. This also means you won’t have moisture dripping down your work shirt or leaving a puddle on your desk.
- Choice of colours
- Choice of sizes
- High-grade stainless steel
- Larger sizes do get pricy
- Capacity: 0.26L, 0.5L, 0.75L, 1.8L
- Size: Varies
- Thermal Time: 12 hours
- Double wall insulation maintains temperatures inside regardless of the temperature outside— maintains temperature and keeps drinks cold for up to 24 hours and hot for up to 12 hours
- Rust-resistant, food grade stainless steel water bottle; metal construction inside and out for long-lasting, fresh tasting flavor
- An airtight seal eliminates accidental spills and maintains a leak-proof drinking bottle; BPA-free, phthalate-free, and toxin-free makes these reusable water bottles a healthy choice
A travel cup just isn’t appropriate for your commute. You always end up with coffee over your bag, it isn’t as warm as you like when you reach the office, and it simply doesn’t hold enough either.
Chilly’s bottles are perhaps the most famous insulating bottles around. Mostly used for cold drinks by those who want something reusable, they can actually also keep your hot drinks hot for up to 12 hours.
The food-safe stainless steel will never rust or impart any odd tastes onto your drink, so it still tastes fresh hours after first making it. With a leak-proof screw top lid, it is easy to drink from and also easy to pour from so you can serve yourself all day, or the family when out on a hike. This is narrow so you won’t risk missing your mouth.
Two-ply construction means there is no condensation on the outer, so you won’t get dripping water or slippy cold hands. It’s lightweight and fits in most cup holders, making it an ideal travel bottle.
It is also the top pick if you are looking for the best small hot drink flask.
- Massive selection of colours and patterns
- Sweat free and travel ready
- Larger size can be hard to hold
Thermos Stainless King Flask
- Capacity: 1.2L
- Size: 3.7 x 4.3 x 12.3 cm
- Thermal Time: 24 hours
- Thermos vacuum insulation technology for maximum temperature retention, keeps hot for 24 hours and cold for 24 hours
- Durable stainless steel interior and exterior with insulated stainless steel serving cup
- Cool to the touch with hot liquids and sweat-proof with cold
- Twist and pour stopper allows you to pour without removing the stopper
Thermos is a generic term which many people use to describe a thermal flask, a bit like when people refer to vacuum cleaners as Hoovers. So as you’d imagine, the brand is pretty good at what they do.
If you’re off on a road trip and overnight camping stayover, this generous capacity flask will keep your coffee warm for an entire 24 hours. This is two or three times as long as most of its closest rivals, which is very good going indeed. It makes it the best thermal insulated coffee flask in terms of the time it can keep hot drinks hot.
The durable stainless steel will largely stay free from dents and scratches, and you also get a little serving cup on the top which is perfect for when the pit stop break arrives. With a twist and pour stopper, you don’t need to remove any lids to get the coffee flowing, and it stays leak-proof as well.
There’s a handle which makes it easier to pour from, and even though this isn’t fixed so it saves space and therefore rattles a little when carrying, it is still really safe and sturdy to hold which eliminated the risk of accidents.
- Large size
- 50-year guarantee
- Good value
- Pouring stopper gets quite hot
Stanley Unisex’s Legendary Classic Easy-Pour Growler
- Capacity: 1.9L
- Size: 16.4 x 12.4 x 29.3
- Thermal Time: 18 hours
- The double-walled vacuum insulation keeps drinks hot for up to 18 hours or cold for 24 hours.
- The side-mounted plastic carrying handle ensures easy transport of the bottle
- The robust lid closure also holds carbonated drinks safely
Almost two litres of coffee can be held in this thermal flask, which is pretty astounding and will keep an entire group of caffeine lovers happy for the full day it stays warm.
It is primarily a growler, used to transport beer from breweries, but is just as effective at keeping coffee hot as it is keeping beer cold and crisp. And we would imagine that there is more demand for a huge insulated coffee flasks than for a beer transporter out there.
Environmentally safe and natural, it can be used over and over again and there is never a metallic or plastic taste in your drinks. A nice grip handle will allow you to serve it all out, and the clip lid is sturdy and easy to fasten and undo for one-handed pouring.
More of an iced coffee fan? It can keep drinks cool for 24 hours and iced drinks icy for up to four days. Pretty phenomenal.
- Huge size
- Keeps drinks maintained for a long time
- Have to be careful with lid as it can leak slightly
T2 Tea Insulated Flask
- Capacity: 0.5L
- Size: 7.1 x 7.1 x 22.9 cm
- Thermal Time: 6 hours
- Easily make your tea and carry it with you at any time
- Make sure there’s no spillage! Or just forget about it, as this tea flask will do it for you
- With the 500ml size, this is perfect for the morning winter commute or fill with ice for summer iced tea
- The stainless steel infuser within this flask means your hot tea is brewing for longer and you get a more intense flavor and scent!
You don’t want tea, you want coffee. We hear you. But it doesn’t mean we can’t use some of their products, because after all, we all do come together in the search for a hot drink.
The idea is that you pop loose tea leaves into the diffuser and the taste stays strong over time. This could be good for anyone who wants their coffee granules to develop in order to make a flask of cold brew, or you can leave it out altogether if your drink is already perfect.
Screw the top on and then place it into your bag for coffee on-the-go. It won’t leak everywhere, so running for the train is no longer a difficult process. It can keep drinks warm at 60°C for up to six hours which will get you (almost) through a working day.
It would make a great flask for anyone who sometimes loves tea, sometimes needs a coffee, occasionally tries a green tea when on a health kick and sometimes adapts their hot drinks for the summer months.
- Can be used for any hot drink
- Quality Materials
- Can be hard to grip and pour if you have small hands
SIGG Switzerland Unisex’s Hot and Cold Insulated Water Bottle
- Capacity: 0.75L
- Size: 8.2 x 8.2 x 29 cm
- Thermal Time: 18 hours
- Lightweight vacuum-insulated coffee flask stainless-steel water bottle that will keep your beverage hot up to 18 hours and cold up to 24 hours. Comes with a thermos cup to enjoy a nice drink even on the go.
- Your piping hot coffee or ice cold lemonade aren’t going anywhere with this metal insulated water bottle at your side
- A wide closure top that makes this SIGG bottle easy to carry around or attach to your backpack.
When you are travelling, how long a bottle will keep your drink warm for is really important. But as is how you drink the coffee and how the bottle can be carried. All of that makes this one the best flask for travelling.
This one is slim and convenient, with a practical screw cap which also doubles up as a carry handle. It can be hooked onto a bag, a waist belt, around your neck or simply carried by hand (although it is on the heavier side so maybe best in a bag for long periods). The integrated mug is handy as it takes up no more space, yet is always there when you need it.
Able to keep hot drinks for 18 hours and cold for 24, it will see you through the day no matter the contents. It is made from stainless steel and avoids BPA, pollutants and phthalates.
- Comes with a cup
- Handle to carry
- Free of harmful pollutants
- A little heavy
Fijoo Triple Wall Insulated Coffee Thermos
- Brand: Fijoo
- Capacity: 17 Fluid Ounces
- Color: 17 OZ
- Product Dimensions: 3″W x 7″H
- Item Weight: 0.81 Pounds
- Material: Stainless Steel
- New for 2021 Triple wall vacuum insulation – copper extra lining between the 2 stainless steel walls
- slides easily into car cup holder, bike rack or hiking backpack. Holds just the right amount of your favorite drink. Perfect thermo for hot water.
- Food grade stainless steel inside and outside means no metallic aftertaste. BPA free lid and no plastic lining means no toxins
If you’re looking for a new thermos for your morning coffee or afternoon tea, this might be the one for you. This thermos holds 17 fluid ounces of hot water and offers double-walled insulation to keep your drink hot for hours on end. The no-leak lid features an easy-to-use button lock and a wide opening so you can add ice or other ingredients. The stainless steel construction is durable and easy to clean, with no plastic linings or BPA material that could leave a bad taste in your mouth.
This insulated coffee flask is the perfect companion for any outdoor trip or commute to work—just fill it up with hot water before heading out and enjoy piping-hot beverages while camping, hiking, running errands, or commuting!
- Easy to carry
- 100% dishwasher safe
- Plain design
Klean Kanteen Classic Stainless Steel Water Bottle
- Capacity: 0.35L, 0.6L, 0.95L, 1.8L
- Size: Varies
- Thermal Time: 20 hours
- Lightweight SINGLE WALL water bottle design is perfect for everyday hydration when at work, on the trail or on vacation
- Large 1. 75 inch (44 mm) opening fits ice and is easy to fill and pour
- All Klean Canteens water bottles go through extensive quality control to ensure the highest qaulity materials and construction
A really popular brand and bottle across the pond, Klean Kanteen is also a best seller in the UK and the glowing reviews are perfectly understandable.
The large 44mm bottleneck opening is large enough to fit in ice if you are opting for a cold drink instead, and will also make it easier to fill the insulated coffee flask with water and pour from it. It can keep a drink hot for 20 hours, making it one of the best picks for heat duration if this is your main concern.
We love how you can buy other caps and lids for the bottle, from a sippy cup or a classic water top to a wider loop cap or cafe cap which you can pour from. It comes with the traditional leak-proof ring cap, which is perfectly fine for general use.
There are also matching reusable straws, cups and tumblers to buy, and they sell a brush which can help you to get it sparkling clean inside again.
- Long heat time
- Large opening
- Could be easy to dent or mark
Bodum Bistro Thermo Jug
- Capacity: 1L
- Size: 12.1 x 18.1 x 24.1 cm
- Thermal Time: Six hours
- Double medium bottle/stainless steel; jug body/lid/polypropylene; gasket: thermoplastic elastomer
- Plastic outer body
- Made from BPA-Free plastic
- Ideal for serving and entertaining
A Bodum product makes it on to pretty much every coffee accessories list we do. And it is no surprise, given their popularity and quality.
This Chambord is a jug, so best for anyone who will be taking a large serving of coffee on a picnic, to a work meeting or in the car for a drive. It pours without dripping and most importantly keeps the hot drinks warm for hours.
The plastic outer doesn’t get too hot to touch, which is great for when multiple people will be using it. Available in black, off-white and bright green, the jug has managed to retain the classic Bodum handle styling which makes their other products so famous, which is a nice touch.
- Nice style
- Easy to pour from
- Can suffer from a bit of condensation when the drink is really hot
Uniware 2407 Stainless Steel Vacuum Flask
The Uniware 2407 Stainless Steel Vacuum Insulated Coffee Flask Coffee Bottle/Thermos (Silver) is a double-walled beverage container with a push button valve built into the stopper. It is made from unbreakable stainless steel and has a slim bullet-shaped design for easy holding and use in most car cup holders. The wide mouth makes it easy to clean and adds versatility for use as a water bottle or thermos. This product will keep beverages hot or cold for six hours and keeps beverages hotter, cooler, fresher longer than other comparable products on the market.
The stainless steel construction helps to resist scratches, odors, and condensation. The double-walled insulated coffee flask keeps hot drinks hot for up to six hours and cold drinks cold for up to 24 hours! This bottle comes with a lifetime guarantee against defects in materials or workmanship under normal use conditions. The stopper on this bottle features an integrated push button valve that allows thorough cleaning by filling with warm soapy water before pressing down on the valve to flush out any debris or bacteria that may have accumulated inside during use over time – this feature also makes it much easier when cleaning time comes around as you don’t have to worry about losing parts like other models do!
- Unbreakable stainless steel liner and outer shell
- Double wall vacuum construction
- Push button valve integrated into stoppe
- Simple design
Hot Drink Flask Buying Guide
When you are looking for a insulated coffee flask which can keep your hot drinks in perfect condition, you will probably be concerned with how long they can do this for.
Some people will need to keep theirs warm for just a few hours, whereas others may need something which will work overnight on a camping trip. The thermal time can range anywhere from around four hours up until 24 hours.
It is worth bearing in mind that how hot the drink is in the first place could affect this time, as could how long the lid is left off. The addition of cold milk can also bring the temperature down a few degrees.
Many thermal flasks can also keep cold drinks cool. This will usually be for a lot longer than they can keep hot drinks warm, which is understandable but can also be worth looking at if you will be making your flask multi-use.
If you are a full hot coffee aficionado, you may even want to keep the milk in a separate cold bottle.
This can range from around 300ml to almost two litres for these insulated coffee flasks. Which size you will need will depend on how many servings you will be making.
A cup can usually hold between 220ml and 340ml of liquid. Check how big your travel cups are if you’re using some, and work out how many cups you will need out of the flask.
This is a guide on the overall dimensions of the insulated coffee flask. You may be restricted over where the bottle can fit, such as in a bag, or simply don’t want to carry a huge flask around all day.
There are various options here. You can remove the entire lid and pour from the jug or bottle as normal which is good if you will be pouring into a mug. You can press down on openings to have a more restricted flow which may be better for controlled pouring or drinking straight from the flask.
Remember that larger spouts could be easier to get the water and coffee into the insulated coffee flask, but can be less controlled to get it back out again, so it is all about finding the balance which is right for you.
This is down to personal preference. You can opt for the traditional screw-top stainless steel bottle or something a bit more bulky with handles, extra cups and which is easier to carry. Many offer a choice of colours or designs.
How We Have Picked Our Best Thermal Flasks
First of all, we looked for a capacity of at least 500ml. This gives you two cups of coffee on average, or enough to sip at for a few hours until it starts to do cold. There are a few on our list which holds less than this, but depending on your circumstances this may be all you need.
We looked at the time for which the hot drinks can stay warm, aiming for a range between six and 24 hours so everyone is happy. We also wanted products which are easy to carry and transport, hold when pouring, and which won’t leak in your bag nor pick up condensation.
Are Insulated Coffee Flasks Easy To Clean?
Usually, no. Which is a given with their design really. This makes it important for you to know how to clean them before their first use.
You can’t stick your hand in them and it would be difficult to get a washing-up sponge inside, but you have to try and clean them ASAP so the coffee doesn’t stain and the taste doesn’t stick around.
You can now buy bottle brushes which will get right into the bottleneck and down to the bottom. If cleaning is not something which you are keen on, you may wish to opt for a larger insulated coffee flask with a wide neck which is easier to get into.
You can get the smell out of a bottle by using some vinegar and hot water and allowing it to steep before air drying. Bleach should never be used, and insulated coffee flasks should always be dried fully after use to stop the growth of mould.
Do I Need A Handle?
Many of the larger flasks come with handles. This makes it easier for you to pour from them, especially if you have smaller hands. It isn’t necessary, and indeed a handle could take up valuable carrying space, but do remember you will be working with hot drinks so safety is key.
What Is The Optimum Temperature For Insulated Coffee Flask?
Around 80°C is said to be best for serving coffee, but some experts say that something more around 40°C to 50°C is optimum to ensure the coffee does not burn and the taste isn’t damaged.
For this reason, the majority of flasks will be able to hold your hot drinks at around 60°C. You also don’t want it being too hot in case you have a spillage when pouring, or it leaks.
Dan is a former competition barista and has been honing his knowledge of coffee for over two decades.
He has worked in coffee farms in Peru, as well as roasters in Australia. He now trains new baristas and hosts cupping experiences in Austin.