Fall Flavored Coffee The first day of Autumn is no longer determined by the Earth’s exposure to the sun, leaves falling from the trees or you suddenly reaching for your coat and a pair of tights when you head out for the day.
The first day of Autumn is officially the day that Pumpkin Spice Lattes are released in Starbucks.
While fall flavors are hitting the coffee shops, you may also be wondering how you can make your at-home coffee feel a bit more Autumnal too. Thankfully, with the help of coffee syrups and other additions, your coffee can perfectly reflect your favorite season.
Below are some Autumn coffee recipes for you to try, including a homemade PSL which will also help you to cut down on your pumpkin waste.
Fall Flavored Coffee Recipes
Homemade Pumpkin Spice Latte
Just because they are a feature in our high street chain shops doesn’t mean we can’t have a go at making them at home, too.
The recipe below uses pumpkin puree, coffee, milk, and spices – and it is a homemade pumpkin puree, too (although you can buy it). It is best to use pumpkins that are specially grown for edible use, but if you’re wondering what to do with your leftover carving pumpkin flesh, this could also work.
After all, 18,000 tons of pumpkins are thrown away in the UK alone every year. Just roast the carved-out pumpkin flesh (free from seeds) at 200°C for 20-30 minutes until it is soft, before adding to a blender and blending for 3-5 minutes until smooth.
The below makes two drinks.
- 2 tbsp pumpkin puree (can add more if you want extra flavor, or if you’ve used a carving pumpkin)
- 500ml milk
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- Sprinkle of ground cloves
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup strong hot coffee (around 120ml)
- Whipped cream for serving
- Add the milk, sugar and pumpkin puree to a saucepan and heat over medium heat to just before boiling
- Remove from the heat, and add the spices, vanilla, and coffee before whisking until blended
- Divide between two glasses and serve with whipped cream, and a bit of extra cinnamon on the top
Fall Flavored Coffee – Salted Caramel Latte
You can, of course, have caramel all year round, and salted caramel is now in a lot of sweet treats. But in Autumn, it really comes to life the Fall Flavored Coffee. Not only does it smell great, but it tastes even better!
- 1 cup strong brewed coffee
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp caramel sauce or syrup
- 100ml milk of choice
- Pinch of salt
- Whipped cream to top
- Drizzle half of the caramel into your mug, covering the inside
- Prepare the coffee using your chosen method into your mug
- Add the vanilla to the coffee and stir
- Foam the milk in a frother or by manually whisking
- Add the salt to the milk and then pour into coffee
- Top with the whipped cream, before decorating with some caramel sauce
Fall Flavored Coffee – Gingerbread Spice Coffee
Pretty similar to your PSL, but uses a few more spice ingredients that are probably already in your store cupboard and you’d use for cooking anyway. A big bonus is that you can make your coffee as normal no matter how that is, whether you’re stuck on instant or use a french press. The extra ginger is the key here.
- Coffee grounds
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1/2 tsp cloves
- Prepare your coffee as you usually would – add the grounds to the maker
- Then, add the spices
- Pour the water on as you would normally and leave to brew, before stirring to ensure the spices are mixed in.
Autumn also means hot chocolates, but if you need to find the perfect balance between something which is sugary and luxurious and something that keeps you awake through the dark mornings, adding Nutella to your brew is ideal.
You will need:
- 170ml milk
- 3-4 tbsp Nutella
- 1 shot Espresso or strong coffee
- Whipped cream
- Cinnamon powder to top
- In a small pot, bring the milk to a slow boil
- Add the Nutella and stir until melted and combined
- Stir in the coffee, and leave to brew for one minute
- Pour into a large mug and top with the whipped cream
- Sprinkle over a bit of cinnamon for a more Autumnal feel
White Chocolate Pumpkin Spiced Mocha
Introducing the new Fall Flavored Coffee! A twist on your much-loved King of Coffee flavor. The white chocolate creates a sweeter twist, and it is a bit stronger than other flavored coffees.
- 350ml strong coffee
- 50ml milk
- 3 shots pumpkin spice coffee syrup
- 60g white chocolate chips
- Whipped cream to top
- Add coffee to a small saucepan
- Stir in the white chocolate until melted
- Add the pumpkin syrup and stir
- Add the milk and stir (you may not need it all depending on how creamy you want it to be)
- Top with the whipped cream before serving in a glass
Dan is a former competition barista and has been honing his knowledge of coffee for over two decades.
He has worked in coffee farms in Peru, as well as roasters in Australia. He now trains new baristas and hosts cupping experiences in Austin.